Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Streamlining Local File Creation - update

Earlier this month, I posted about a script/program to streamline local file creation. I finished some new updates which you can find on the AUGI thread Transparent Local File Creation (see the first post). I'm calling it Version 3, whatever that means :) I have added a readme file to the zip file that contains all the details you need to know about how it works, version history, etc. Here are the new additional features:

a) Check for Revit build between users working on the same project. The program will warn the users using a build other than what was used originally to create the first local file (using the script/program). This will help in alerting the BIM Manager/Workstation Administrator that some team members need to be upgraded.

b) Check if Revit is already open with a local version of the same project, belonging to the user that is running the script. If such case is detected, a warning will be issued and execution will stop.

c) The program will launch any Revit version from 2008 onwards (until they change the naming again!). So you'll be able to use it in a couple of weeks when the 2009 line-up is released!

d) Added an informative, animated splashcreen for a few seconds while a Revit session is launched.

e) Revit will now always open maximized.

If you find any problems, feel free to contact me. I'm also eager to hear your suggestions to make this a more useable tool. At the moment I have stayed away from using a GUI interface to select the project to launch, as this is tailored to our firm procedures, naming conventions, etc., and so far, it has been working very well for us.


Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dave,

Thank you for this incredibly usefull program. I am modifying the script to place the local file in a different directory. I have that working, no problem. My question is where in the script do you write the username back into the revit.ini file. I see where you strip it out using the "inidelete" command, but I am having a hard time finding the line where you write it back into the revit.ini file.

Thanks, Cliff

Dave Baldacchino said...

Glad you found it useful Cliff!

There's no need to write the username to the ini file. All you need to do is take out what's in the ini file and Revit will automatically fill that in with the windows log-in when it realizes that it's empty.

Anonymous said...

Dave,

Thanks for creating and sharing this program! I have found it to be very useful. I now have shortcuts on my desktop for each Revit project I am working on. No more copying/pasting from the project folder to my local folder, renaming, etc. Just double click and I'm done!

Thanks again,
Jason

Dave Baldacchino said...

Thanks for your feedback Jason! We're always trying to find ways to focus on our real business at hand and not consume too much time on the little things that distract us.

Post a Comment